The Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship for Service Program has been established by the Department of Defense (DoD) to support undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students pursuing degrees science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields. Selected students receive a full academic scholarship and the opportunity to continue their research as civilian employees at a DoD laboratory after graduation.
- Must be a U.S. citizen at time of application
- 18 years of age or older
- Willing to accept post-graduate employment with the DoD
- A student in good standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in one of the disciplines listed on the SMART website.
- Full tuition and education related fees (does not include items such as meal plans, housing, or parking)
- Stipend paid at a rate of $25,000 - $38,000 depending on degree pursuing (may be prorated depending on award length)
- Paid summer internships
- Health Insurance allowance up to $1,200 per calendar year
- Miscellaneous Supplies Allowance of $1,000 per academic year
- Employment placement after graduation
How to Apply
Interested students should visit the SMART website for details and application procedures.