Professional, Administrative, Assistant, Clerical and Technician Student Employment Program (PAACTSEP)
Professional, Administrative, Assistant, Clerical and Technician Student Employment Program (PAACTSEP) direct hire authority provides an opportunity for students to gain practical job skills while working with, or understanding the guidance of, experienced personnel through alternating or parallel periods of academic study and career-oriented employment. These positions focus on Business, Human Resources, Contracting and Finance support for NSWCDD.
- Students must be enrolled at least half time, as defined by the institution, to be appointed and remain in the program.
- Must be a US citizen.
- Be able to obtain and maintain a favorable security clearance or background investigation through Public Trust for interns that are not 18 years of age.
- Meet the minimum age required by Federal, state or local laws and standards governing the employment of minors
- In good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Students must be able to complete 640 hours (16 weeks) work requirement prior to the completion of an academic degree.
- For students seeking an associate’s degree, academic criteria must be transferable to a four-year college or university, and student must intend to complete the associate’s degree to transfer to a four-year college or university to pursue a Bachelor’s degree.
- Paid internship.
- Provides an opportunity to gain work experience directly related to an academic field of study.
- Eligible for tuition assistance (50% tuition and $400 book allowance per semester).
- Eligible for federal benefits (Annual and Sick Leave, TSP, Life and Health insurance, etc.)
- Students who successfully complete the program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent job in the civil service.
Initial Pay Setting: Students will be appointed at the grade/band level consistent with their academic progress and will be paid accordingly.
Salary Increases: Students may receive pay adjustments or be promoted based on academic progress at management discretion.
- Students are required to be in a work status during each summer break from school until graduation, unless pre-approved for an exception.
- Students have the option to work during all official breaks from school and scheduled work rotations outside of summer breaks.
- Each work experience must be consistent with the student’s academic studies or career goals and designed to meet the minimum work requirement of 640 hours (16 weeks).
- It is NSWCDD policy that work schedules will not interfere with academic coursework.
- Work schedules may be full-time or part-time at the discretion of the supervisor.
Continued Service Agreement:
- Students who accept tuition assistance must sign NSWCDD’s Continued Service Agreement and agree to continue in service for a period equal to the length of each semester for which tuition was received.
- The service obligation begins after support is received and after successful completion of the degree program.
- Failure to fulfill the continued service obligation will result in having to reimburse NSWCDD for the amount of tuition that reflects the unfulfilled portion of the service agreement.
- In the event NSWCDD is unable to convert a student due to administrative reasons (budget constraints, lack of work), the student will not be held liable for the financial assistance received and will voluntarily resign or be terminated.
Work Requirement Waiver: Students may be evaluated and be considered for a waiver of up to one half (320 hours) of the work requirement, if the student is unable to meet the minimum work requirement for the program. Waiver requirement based on, if the student:
- had a previous formal internship directly related to the mission of the Division
- has superior academic achievement (i.e., a 3.5 cumulative GPA or better)
- has military experience directly related to the mission of the Division, etc.
How to Apply:
Applications are accepted year-round. Interested applicants should submit their resume and transcripts to our Talent Acquisition Portal (TAP): https://navsea.recsolu.com/external/events/CY0eZOjCVr4WEkP180FZLw
In your profile please indicate which location(s) you are interested in - Dahlgren, VA or CDSA, Virginia Beach, VA. *Please note this is not an actual event.