There are procedures established to inform employees if severe weather conditions will impact working hours at Division Newport. The decision that public roads are unsafe rests with the state and local municipalities, and does not necessarily determine Division Newport's working conditions. This message should be retained as a general reminder of what to do in case of severe weather.
If severe weather develops during normal working hours (0745-1615) and Division Newport has to be closed, word will be passed verbally through the normal internal chain of command and via All Hands email.
NUWC Division Newport has implemented a weather and safety leave policy that may change the wording for notifications made for weather and safety events that affect the base.
Command leadership may now include operating status announcements that include:
- Open with option for unscheduled leave or unscheduled telework (for government employees)
- Delayed arrival
- Early departure
Delayed work announcements or closure will mean that employees may NOT report to work before a specified time
In the event of severe weather conditions that develop overnight, before normal working hours, requiring a "delayed opening" or "no work" status, every effort will be made to have that decision communicated to the workforce by 0500.
Announcements of revised work hours will be promulgated by several methods:
- Omnilert (instructions for registering are located at the end of this message) - AutoMessenger alerts are no long available
- Facebook (NUWC Division Newport’s Facebook page is http://www.facebook.com/NUWCNewport)
- Twitter (NUWC Division Newport’s Twitter page is: http://www.twitter.com/NUWCNewport)
- Call the information hotline:
- From local numbers - dial 401-832-6892, and press "1" for closure information
- From out of area - dial 800-669-6892 (800-NOW-NUWC) and press "1" for closure information
- NUWC Division Newport’s external public website's main page is updated as warranted by weather conditions and also contains a link to "Work Status" at: www.navsea.navy.mil/Home/WarfareCenters/NUWCNewport.aspx
- Public service announcements will be made via television and radio stations:
WLNE-TV/ABC6 (www.abc6.com )
WJAR-TV/NBC10 (www.turnto10.com )
WPRI-TV/CBS12 (www.wpri.com )
CW28 (www.thecwprov.com )
RI PBS / Channel 36 (www.ripbs.org )
WNAC-FOX/Channel 11 (www.foxprovidence.com )
Radio Stations in Rhode Island:
FM DIAL: AM DIAL:
88.1 WRNI (www.ripr.org ) 630 WPRO (www.630wpro.com )
91.5 WRNI (www.ripr.org ) 790 WPRV (www.790business.com)
92.3 WPRO (www.92profm.com ) 920 WHJJ (www.920whjj.com )
93.3 WSNE (www.coast933.com ) 1110 WPMZ (www.poder1110.com )
94.1 WHJY (www.whjy.com ) 1180 WSKP (http://kool1180.webs.com/)
95.5 WLVO 1240 WOON (www.onworldwide.com )
98.1 WCTK (www.wctk.com ) 1290 WRNI (www.ripr.org)
99.7 WEAN (www.630wpro.com ) 1450 WLKW (www.wnbhradio.com or www.wlkwradio.com )
100.3 WKKB (www.latina1003fm.com ) 1540 WADK (www.wadk.com )
101.5 WWBB (www.b101.com ) 1590 WARV (lifechangingradio.com/warv/)
102.7 WRNI (www.ripr.org ) 1710 WCNX (www.wcnxradio.com/)
105.1 WWLI (www.literock105fm.com )
106.3 WWKX (www.hot1063.com )
Radio Stations in Massachusetts:
1480 AM WSAR (Somerset) (www.wsar.com )
Radio Stations in Connecticut:
1310 AM WICH (Norwich) (http://wich.com/)
97.7 FM WCTY (Norwich) (www.wcty.com )
98.7 FM WNLC (East Lyme) (www.wnlc.com )
100.9 FM WKNL (New London) (http://radioroxy.com/)
106.5 WBMW (http://www.wbmw.com/)
If you are listening to public service bulletins for weather related announcements, please pay close attention to the radio and television stations listed above for information related to NUWC Division Newport. Because these announcements are broadcast as a "public service," there is no guarantee that the stations will carry them, or if carried, will air them in a timely or accurate manner. Although these stations have said they will try to make our closure announcements, their management has made it clear that school closures and social service announcements have priority over business closures.
Also be aware that NUWC airs separate announcements from those of Naval Station Newport and the Naval War College. Please be sure that closure announcements refer to "NUWC Division Newport." If they say the Navy Base in Newport, it is not us. Employees working within the Naval Station fence line, such as those at Stillwater Basin or in Buildings 2-6, 1318, and 80 should report to work if NUWC Division Newport is open but Naval Station Newport is not. In those cases, Naval Station security will permit NUWC employees to enter the Naval Station during times when the Naval Station is "closed."
Omnilert registration instructions:
1. Visit https://navy.omnilert.net/subscriber.php?id=navy
2. Click the "Sign Up" link near the top right corner of the page.
3. On the "Sign Up" page, you will need to provide your user name, name and password. You'll use your user name and the password you enter here to sign in later. Review and accept the “Terms of Service.” Click "Create Account" when you are done.
4. On the next page, you will enter phone numbers for voice notification, SMS text numbers and email addresses. A validation email will be sent to the email addresses. You must click on the validation site code before the email addresses will be active. If you do not receive the email, try resending. Be sure to set your spam filter to allow emails from firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Please save your username and password, as you can revisit the account at a later time if you need to add additional contact information, modify your account, or unsubscribe from the system.</mailto:email@example.com>