The Battle Lab Division (D3) provides timely, relevant capability analysis and recommendations to support equipment investment decisions and capability gap identification by engaging end users, technology providers and subject matter experts (SME) in collaborative technology assessments. In order to accomplish this, the division is split into three branches:
Demonstration and Assessment Team (DAT)
- Integration of warfighter inputs with developmental technology
Explosive Detection Equipment (EDE)
- Evaluation of systems to detect or identify explosives and threats
EOD Technology Assessment (ETA)
- Evaluation of emerging & available technology for EOD
Mission: The Battle Lab Division leverages government agencies, industry and academia in the areas of applied research and technology assessment in an adaptable, measurable and rapid approach to meet urgent needs at home and abroad. The division conducts experimentation, demonstration and assessment of existing and emerging technology in an operational environment; engages EOD, DoD and interagency partners in operational force integration and engagement; and conducts cybersecurity analysis and validation to ensure confidentiality, integrity and availability of systems, networks and data.
Primary Products and Services:
Concept of operations to support DoD, EOD and physical security technology and equipment:
- Uses existing SMEs within the department to provide objective reviews of technologies being considered.
- Combines technical expertise and evaluation with assessments in operational environments and user feedback to provide actionable data on COTS/GOTS equipment.
Engaging the warfighter:
- Conducts capabilities and limitations assessments; operational events with user participation and feedback; mission-based events to evaluate how emerging technology can be integrated into current mission set; market studies; and warfighter concept development.
- Stakeholders receive data to make decisions on equipment strategy/procurement.
- Technical results are fed back into gap analysis/used to target future development.
Actively pursuing partnerships that allow us to access technology solutions at any stage of development