CAC Cards


1333 Isaac Hull Avenue, S.E.
Building 197
Washington Navy Yard, DC 20376


202-781-2300, ext. 4 


(last appointment and walk-ins are taken at 1530)
Closed on Federal Holidays




  • ELIGIBILE MEMBERS: The CAC Office services DoD military members, civilians and contractors, as well as military family members/dependents. Military family members and dependents must have a sponsor present. Should sponsors not be available, this facility will accept one of the following: General Power of Attorney; Special Power or Attorney (stipulating authorization to act on behalf on the sponsor in regards to benefits/entitlements/ID Cards); DD Form 1172-2 that is generated by a DEERS/ID Cards Facility; or a DD Form 1172-2 generated by the DMDC ID Card Office online for sponsors who have a CAC and can digitally sign the document. The DD Form 1172-2 is good for 30 days after the date of signature.
  • APPOINTMENTS: The NAVSEA CAC/ID Card Office highly encourages scheduled appointments: visit Customers with scheduled appointments will be seen prior to any walk-in customers. Appointments may be scheduled during open months within 90 days of the expiration date on the ID.
  • IDENTIFICATION: Customers must present two valid forms of unexpired identification when requesting an appointment. All must be unexpired and in the original form. A valid list of IDs may be found here: You must present your expiring CAC to renew your CAC. Customers without a proper appointment for each dependent will be seen as a walk-in after scheduled appointments. Examples of acceptable forms of ID include:
    • Primary: Military ID, Driver's License or Passport.
    • Secondary: A second Primary ID or Social Security Card, voter's registration card, Birth Certificate, or Veterans Health Identification Card (VHIC).
  • REPLACEMENT CARDS: All individuals requesting a replacement for a lost or stolen CAC are required to present documentation on organizational letterhead from their local security office or supervisor confirming that the CAC has been reported lost or stolen and all methods of locating the card have been exhausted. The individual must still provide two valid forms of unexpired ID to acquire a new CAC. A valid list of IDs may be found here
  • ACCESS: Please arrive early to ensure you are not late to your scheduled appointment. All visitors must enter through the River Entrance (south end) of NAVSEA Headquarters, Bldg. 197. Once inside, you will be issued a badge at the Visitor Control Center (VCC). The visitor badge must be always worn above the waist and visible. Visitor badges will be returned to security as you exit the building following your appointment. Once you have received a badge, proceed to the opposite end of Bldg. 197 and sign-in at the NAVSEA CAC/ID Card office customer service laptop computer. This notifies the representatives that you have arrived.
    • Non-CAC Holders should arrive 1 hour prior to the scheduled appointment time to allow for check-in at 1022 O St S.E., Washington Navy Yard Visitor Center and NAVSEA HQ, BLDG 197. Visitors lacking a CAC or access to the Washington Navy Yard must request base access at the Washington Navy Yard O Street Gate, located at the intersection of 11th and O Streets SE, and then proceed to BIdg. 197.
  • PARKING: Visitors arriving by vehicle must obtain a parking pass from the 11th and O Street Visitor Control Center (VCC). Notify the NAVSEA CAC/ID Card office if you need special accommodations for parking.
  • TRANSPORTATION: The closest Metrorail Station is Navy Yard (Exit New Jersey Avenue).


We would love to hear from you!CAC/ID Customer Survey

After your visit, fill out a digital comment card by scanning the QR code or visiting:

DEPENDENTS: There are several possible scenarios for how a dependent might be sponsored to receive an ID Card:

  • Sponsor is present to sign the DD Form 1172-2 DEERS ID application form, or
  • If sponsor cannot be present, sponsor must use MilConnect RAPIDS Self-service to generate a digitally signed DD Form 1172-2, or
  • Spouse has valid Power of Attorney ("General" or "Special")
  • When sponsor is deployed or mobilized for more than 30 days, present a copy of the deployment/mobilization orders
  • NOTE #1: If enrolling a spouse into DEERS, the spouse needs to have their original passport or State ID and Social Security Card for first time enrollment.
  • NOTE #2: Family members who are 18 years or older must have 2 valid forms of ID.

CHILDREN AGE 10 & UP: Can be issued an ID for the following reasons:

  • The child is of a joint service couple or a single parent that is active duty.
  • The child does not reside in the household of an eligible adult family member.
  • The child resides temporarily away from the sponsor while attending school and there is no eligible spouse.
  • Child's temporary guardian lives far from the parent's duty station and must use a medical facility other than the one keeping the child's records.

FOREIGN AFFILIATES: Foreign Affiliates must be processed and verified via the Trusted Associate Sponsorship System (TASS) to receive a CAC. Foreign Affiliates arriving at a RAPIDS office for initial issuance of a CAC must present a DD Form 1172-2 with the “DOD Sponsored in US” condition annotated in remarks block 21 along with all other required/supporting documents (i.e., invitational travel order or extended travel agreement and foreign visitor request). After the record is created, a DOD ID and FIN will be generated and provided to the Foreign Affiliate. The Foreign Affiliate will take the DOD ID back to the Sponsoring Command to initiate a TASS request. NOTE: Foreign Affiliate members who have previously had an ID Card or been in RAPIDS do not require the creation of a new RAPIDS record.

ENROLLING A NEWBORN: The requirements for enrolling a newborn have changed, the proof of birth letter is no longer acceptable. The following can be used to enroll a newborn:

  • Birth certificate
  • Certificate of Live Birth
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240).

DISABLED VETERANS: Veterans who are eligible to receive a USID must bring the following documents to appointments:

  • Documents from the VA stating that you are permanently paid at 100% disability
  • Documents from the VA stating you are entitled to commissary and exchange privileges
  • Your DD Form 214, Member/Page 4 copy.