Home : Home : RMC : FDRMC : Italy Tours : Overseas Benefits : Pay and Allowances : Move to Italy
Move (PCS) to Italy

Permanent Change of Station (PCS) is the relocation of a current Federal employee (and his/her family) from one official work site to another or the relocation of a new employee (and family) to his/her first assignment site.

PCS typically refers to the move that an employee (and family) makes from the current location to a new distant location. Employees can choose an accompanied tour (with family) or unaccompanied tour (without family) while serving in Italy.

Please visit these sites for additional information on PCS allowances and benefits presented in this section:

U.S. Department of State — Summary of Allowances and Benefits

Personal Property
The shipment to Italy and/or storage of your Personal Property is authorized in your overseas Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders. Total personal property is limited to 18,000 pounds. There are three separate categories of Personal Property and hence three “pack-outs”.

Please visit these sites for additional information on PCS allowances and benefits presented in this section:

NAVSUP Official Navy Household Goods website
Defense Personal Property Program

Here is a brief description of the three categories of personal property:

Household Goods
This is the personal property that you will use while you are overseas; care should be taken to ensure that you can use what you ship. Household goods being shipped overseas require approximately 60-80 days to arrive.

Non-Temporary Storage
This is storage of household goods not taken abroad during an employee’s overseas tour until the employee returns from that assignment; the types of items that can be stored are restricted, e.g., automobiles cannot be stored in NTS.

Express shipment (or unaccompanied baggage)
This is limited to 350 pounds and usually takes approximately 30 days to arrive. Express shipments are for daily living essentials until you are fully settled in your rental property; furniture may not be included.

Property Management Service
PMS is to assist an employee in offsetting costs associated with retaining a residence at his/her previous stateside Permanent Duty Station (PDS). Property management services may be authorized when an employee is transferred from the U.S. or a non-foreign OCONUS area to a foreign area, and transfers in the Gov’t’s interest to a foreign Permanent Duty Station (PDS). The employee must apply to request this benefit.

PMS covers the costs of employing a rental agent, reimbursable up to 10% of monthly rent. PMS can only be authorized only on a residence at an employee’s last U.S. PDS from which the employee transferred to a foreign area PDS for which the employee and/or a member(s) of the employee’s immediate family holds title to the residence. PMS covers services associated with using a property manager.

PMS must be in the employee’s orders and cannot be authorized once the orders are executed. Approval of PMS can take some time, so employees should request PMS at the earliest possible opportunity. PMS is taxable, so employees should consult their tax advisor to determine the tax consequences of these payments and on maintaining the residence as a rental property.

Foreign Transfer Allowance (Subsistence Expenses) – FTA (SE)
A pre-departure subsistence allowance is authorized an employee and each family member for lodging, meals (including tips), laundry and cleaning expenses incurred while residing in temporary quarters for up to 10 days before final departure from the US permanent duty station (PDS) to the new duty station in a foreign area. FTA cannot begin more than 30 days after vacating the employee’s stateside residence quarters. Receipts are required for lodging and meals.

Travel to Italy
Qualified personnel hired to work at FDRMC Naples will be authorized funded permanent change of station (PCS) orders to their new duty station. The general exception is “local hires” (e.g., personnel already residing in Italy without a transportation agreement, employees already in Italy, etc.). Please contact the Human Resources Office (HRO) if you have any questions about your eligibility.

This funding includes paid travel for the employee and his/her family (dependents “included” in the employee’s PCS orders).

Once an employee receives travel orders from HRO, the employee will be directed to contact their local Personnel Support Detachment (PSD) and/or Navy Passenger Transportation Office (NAVPTO)/SATO to arrange employee/dependent(s) flight(s). The employee will also be instructed to fill out and submit the designated paperwork to arrange travel to Italy. Once the ticket(s) have been purchased, the employee will receive an itinerary/e-ticket(s) via e-mail.

Note that employees and their family members stationed in Italy are required to have red “no-fee” official passports (US citizens only). Employees and/or family members who do not possess a no-fee passport must submit application(s) for no-fee passports before official travel is permitted.

Temporary Quarters Subsistence Allowance (TQSA)
TQSA is intended to assist in covering the overseas average cost of adequate, but not elaborate or unnecessarily expensive, temporary quarters, plus reasonable meal and laundry expenses for a period up to 90 days. TQSA commences either the date an employee arrives at the new PDS, or the effective date of transfer, whichever is later. TQSA will be advanced to you in lump sum in 30-day increments. Please be advised that TQSA will be paid up to the daily maximum rate or the actual expenses incurred, whichever is less. You will be required to submit lodging and meal receipts at the time of reconciliation. Claims for transportation to and from your workplace, comfort items, or telephone calls (including work-related calls) will not be covered under TQSA. See the DTM Website for the latest information on rates. In most cases, Navy Lodge accommodations are available and within TQSA limits.

For information on your PCS Allowances and Benefits for returning stateside upon completion of your Italy Tour, please see “Your Return.”.

Helpful Links

Note: This page contains one or more external links. See the External Links Disclaimer.