Home : Home : RMC : SRF-JRMC : Japan Tours : Your Return : Moving Back

Moving Back (PCS)


Normally at the one year remaining in the 36 month PCS contract a decision of whether to extend is made.

  • Management determines whether to offer an extension to an employee.
  • If management decides to offer the extension, the offer may be accepted or declined by the employee.
  • If the extension is offered and accepted then the employee and family continue until next offer is made up to a total of 5 years of PCS.


  • The employee, if needed, shall begin working on obtaining the required VISA for non-US citizens in order for them to travel to the US.
  • The employee/family will verify the expiration date of their passports.(7-12 months from departure)

Renew your official government passport when you are within 12 months of rotation but NO LATER THAN 6 months before rotation. HRO will not process requests to renew that are received after you are within 6 months to rotation.


If you have not been in discussion with your home command you should contact your previous department head to ensure they are working to identify your position upon return. Your orders cannot be generated until this decision is made.

If your home in the States is being rented and is occupied by tenants the employee should notify the stateside Property Manager of the anticipated return date such that renters may be vacated by the time the employee and the family return.


  • The employee should be notified by the receiving Command of the job they will occupy upon return.
  • The employee shall request travel orders from HR if leaving SRF or if leaving the Puget Detachment, Code 600 in Bremerton will provide.
  • Request Temporary Quarters Subsistence Expense (TQSE) from the gaining command.

TQSE is a discretionary allowance that is intended to reimburse employees for some costs for lodging, food, and other necessities when occupying temporary quarters. TQSE must be authorized in advance of occupancy, and may not be approved after the fact. It may be offered by the agency in the following forms:

  1. TQSE (AE) Actual expense reimbursement
  2. TQSE (LS) Lump Sum payment
For more information:


The gaining command should assign a sponsor to the returning employee and family to assist with their return. The assigned sponsor should contact the returning employee to exchange contact information and answer any questions about the returning process for the returning employee or family. If you do not hear from your sponsor you may wish to contact the gaining command to ask for contact information.

  • The employee should receive orders from their parent command to return to CONUS federal employment.
  • The employee/family should prepare for moving their household effects
  • The employees/family should set up their express shipment.
  • Contact move.mil for personal property.
  • The employee set up Defense Personal Property System (DPS) account.
  • The employee/family shall set up house hold goods shipment.

As soon as you have a date for your upcoming PCS move, start getting your house and family ready. Clean up and get rid of junk. Get important family records together in one place. Plan what items you will take in your unaccompanied baggage (express shipment) and what will go in your household goods shipment.

Shipment of the household goods (not the express shipment) usually takes two months or longer. This means that you will be without most of your belongings for your initial time at your new location. Plan accordingly.

  • The employee will notify the Landlord/housing of your departure from Japan.
  • The employee will notify the non-temporary storage of your return. please request delivery in Defense Personal Property Shipping System (DPS) at www.move.mil or contact the nearest transportation office; physical delivery address is required.
  • The employee will make reservations at Navy Lodge. Phone numbers and reservation information can be found at https://www.dodlodging.com/html/japan.htm
  • The employee will prepare pets for return (requires physical within 10 days of departure).

Traveling with a pet has some additional complications. All costs for moving your pet are borne by you. You cannot take the bus to the airport with a pet so you will have to arrange transportation. Be aware of the REQUIREMENTS when you prepare to move your pet from Japan. 

More information about returning to the US with pets:



  • HRO creates a RPA
  • The employee/family should notify the DOD school(s) of departure.
  • The DoD schools are very good at checking your children out and mailing the student’s record to the next school. You WILL have to provide the address of the new school so please get that information before going to the DoD school for checkout.
  • The employee/family should sell any personally owned vehicle or pay to “junk” it. For more information see: http://cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrj/installations/cfa_yokosuka/om/security/vehicle_registation.html


  • Your gaining command sponsor should coordinate a time for the assigned supervisor to meet with the returning employee on the first of their return. Contact your sponsor if you have not gotten this information.
  • The employee/family move in to Navy Lodge (10 day maximum stay).
  • If necessary, the employee/family should make arrangements to close out bank accounts. Remember to set the closing date far enough out to collect your final pay check, normally 2-3 weeks after departure.
  • The employee should print out their Information Assurance training certificate to bring with them so they do not need to repeat the same training at their home command.
  • The employee should fill out and submit a SAAR form OPNAV 5239/14. This form along with mandatory training puts the employee back into their previous NMCI account.
  • The employee should contact the gaining command’s HRO.
    • We will provide contact info on this site soon. Please check back with us regularly
  • The employee should arrange for transportation from the airport to either the permanent or temporary lodging.
  • The employee shall accomplish the checkout process from their command in Japan.
    • See your local admin/manpower office for checkout forms and process
  • Check out of Navy Lodge on day of departure.
  • Get to the airport!!!

      Narita International Airport Shuttle

      • The Bus office is located on the first floor of the PSD building (1555). Office hours are 0730-1800 on regular weekdays, and 0730-1430 on weekends and holidays.
      • Schedule
        • Shuttle #1 - 10:00 Departure Time
        • Shuttle #2 - 12:30 Departure Time
        • Shuttle #3 - 14:30 Departure Time
      • Please note that you MUST provide a copy of your orders upon check-in at Yokosuka and Narita. Without a copy of your orders, you will be designated space available.

      Make Reservations for Narita Shuttle

      Yokota Air Station

      • Yokota Shuttle Bus (No reservation needed. Bring a copy of your orders for them to keep
      • WHERE????
      • Check-in Time -----0730. Departure Time (from Yokosuka) ----0800
      • Yokota AMC Terminal: 225-5661
      • Yokota Operator/AMC: 042-552-2511 (EXT. 55661)

      Current schedule see Commander Fleet Activities – Yokota Shuttle Bus info

      How Do I process out through Japanese Immigration at Yokota? (As of Mar 09, 2016)

      • The Japanese immigration office at Yokota is located a short walk (approx 15-20 minutes each way) from the terminal. To get there; go left out of the terminal toward the gate. Take the crosswalk toward the gate. Remain on the sidewalk inside the rails. Continue on and stay left until you see the foot bridge across Route 16. Cross the bridge and go to the gate on the other side of Route 16. Take the cross walk to the other side of the gate and go out the gate. Follow the sidewalk to the left about 200 yards to the end of the fence, to the left about 50 ft. is the small immigration building (0500 to 2200 7 days a week).
      • Warning: The stamp out is only good for the calendar date of the stamp. For example, if you go to immigration and receive a stamp dated 13 Mar 09, it is only valid for THAT day. The stamp is no longer valid for the next day. If you wish to stand a Space "A" roll call for a flight leaving early in the morning the next day, you may go to immigration the day prior and get your passport stamped with "tomorrow's date", however you would not be able to leave the day prior.
      • The terminal rules require that you declare yourself present before roll call and be travel ready at roll call, stamped out, all documents in order, bags at hand. After selection, you will proceed directly to check in and get a boarding pass. You will not be allowed to leave the terminal after selection for a flight. Check with the Pax Reps if this is still the procedure as there have been reports of folks clearing immigration after being selected for a flight.


During the first week upon arrival at your CONUS Command complete the following:

  • The employee shall report to the designated gate to meet with sponsor or other designated personnel.
  • The employee will need to immediately get processed through security.
  • Meet with administrative personnel for the gaining department. The administrative personnel shall help with direct Deposit, W4’s, Emergency contact info, change of address, and turn in of your (and your family) Government/no-fee (maroon) passport(s).
  • Check in with their assigned supervisor.
  • Check in through Code 600 to complete the following items:
    • Turn in direct deposit with payroll, W4, and change of address.
    • Government Credit Card changed to new command.
    • DTS hierarchy change – This needs to be done prior to completion of the travel orders.
    • En-Route Travel Orders
    • Mass transit incentive program (TIP pass)
  • Renew their common access card at Personnel Support Detachment (PSD).
  • Go to the IT department, Code 1230, for computer access and cell phone if necessary.
  • Meet with their training coordinator to determine and schedule required training.
  • Get vehicle pass / stickers at Pass and ID.
  • Dispensary – The employee should periodically check to see if their medical records have been received at the dispensary.


Within the first 1 to 4 weeks after arrival at your CONUS Command the following items should be completed:

  • The employee and family should receive their express shipment.
  • The employee and family should receive their shipment non-temporary storage.
  • The employee and family should receive their house hold goods shipment.
  • Complete TQSE voucher (after 30 days).
  • Re-establish household
  • Re-establish personal finances
  • Children back in school
  • Review Health Insurance (you can change during open season)
  • Complete the Process Improvement Feedback form to improve this process for future use.