Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) Warfare Centers trace their history back to 1862
when the Navy Department established the Bureau of Ordnance (BuOrd).
Over the last century and a half, several historical engineering leaders
have played a critical role in establishing the Navy’s technical infrastructure
including Rear Adm. John Dahlgren, Rear Adm. David Taylor,
Rear Adm. George Melville and Commodore William Crane.
In 1991, as part of an overall Department of the Navy
consolidation of research, development, test and evaluation (RDT&E),
engineering and Fleet support activities, two
Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) Warfare Centers officially stood up
in 1991 – the Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) and the Naval Undersea
Warfare Center (NUWC). In 2003, NSWC and
NUWC began operating as an integrated entity in order to collaborate with
customers, adopt a common work assignment process, increase efficiency and
shift from a site-centric model to a national business model.
Today, the men and women of the NAVSEA Warfare Centers
represent approximately 30% of the Navy’s overall engineering and science
expertise and continue to provide full-spectrum support (science and technology
(S&T), research, development, testing and evaluation (RDT&E), product
delivery and Fleet support) for the Navy’s ships and systems.