In addition to possessing the knowledge required to administer a simple local command Laser Hazard Control Program, the TLSO possesses the technical knowledge to understand how the laser safety parameters for laser systems are derived, the factors that go into the development of a laser range certification. The TLSO must successfully complete an ALA/LNTL approved TLSO course. There are no prerequisites for the TLSO course, but TLSO certification is a prerequisite for RLSS and LSS courses. A TLSO is trained to:
- Understand the calculations and measurements of laser safety parameters such as Nominal Ocular Hazard Distances (NOHDs) and required optical densities (ODs) for laser eyewear.
- Provide ALSO training using the approved course curriculum (Qualification of TLSOs as instructors requires ALA/LNTL approval).
- Understand classification of lasers and laser systems.
- Perform the same duties as an ALSO.
- Perform the duties of a laboratory, installation, base, research facility, or RLSO as follows:
- Establish and manage a base or installation laser range safety program.
- Approve/disapprove the use of laser systems on their range(s) that fall within the guidelines of the range certification.
- Approve/disapprove any laser operations aboard their range(s) that fall within the guidelines of the range certification.
- Ensure laser ranges under their cognizance are certified/recertified by a RLSS at least every three years or when changes to the range fall outside the current certification.
- Ensure range regulations/SOPs are provided to commands requesting usage of their laser range(s).
- Review training plan (to include laser type(s) and proposed employment tactics) of each command requesting access to their laser range(s) to ensure compliance with current laser range certification.
- Perform annual range safety compliance inspections to include:
- Verification of range boundary warning signs.
- Target conditions.
- Accessibility and condition of ground laser system firing points.
- Other laser safety controls as appropriate.