CORE COMPETENCY & PROGRAM AREAS
DON Explosives Safety
- Provides technical guidance, policy recommendations, and oversight of ordnance storage and transportation systems.
Weapons Systems Safety/Joint Programs
- Performs reviews of combat systems through the following review board and panels:
• Weapon System Explosives Safety Review Board
• Software System Safety Technical Review Panel
• Fuze and Initiation System Technical Review Panel
• Technical Review Panel
Navy Ordnance Environmental Support
- Serves as the Navy's primary technical authority for ordnance environmental issues.
- Provides technical guidance, policy recommendations, and reviews on electromagnetic effects to ordnance, insensitive munitions, and hazard classifications to enable the safe transport and storage of ammunition, explosives, and related components.
Shipboard Weapons Integration
- Identifies safety-critical areas of integration and recommend affordable design measures that minimize the residual risk ultimately presented to the operational forces and serves as the single point of contact for coordinating weapons integration issues/efforts to reduce explosive mishap risk associated with ordnance handling, stowage, and transportation in the Fleet.