Home : Home : RMC : FDRMC : Bahrain Tours : Overseas Benefits
Overseas Foreign Area Benefits

Pay and allowances for Federal employees assigned “overseas” are different than the pay received in the states. Being stationed in Bahrain, in addition to your base pay, you will receive Post Allowance (PAL, a foreign area cost of living allowance for Federal employees) based on the foreign area to which you are assigned. You may also be eligible for Living Quarters Allowance (LQA, a foreign area housing and utilities allowance for eligible Federal employees) and other allowances. Consult HRO to determine your eligibility for “overseas” allowances.

The Department of State Standardized Regulations (DSSR) govern allowances and benefits available to U.S. Government civilians assigned to foreign areas. Because individual agencies draft their own implementing regulations, which can be more restrictive than the DSSR, you may not be eligible for all of the allowances listed in the DSSR website. Prospective employees and employees of FDRMC Bahrain may consult DoD’s Joint Travel Regulations at http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/travelreg.cfm and DoD 1400.25-M, Civilian Personnel Manual, Subchapter 1250, DoD Civilian Personnel Management System: Overseas Allowances and Differentials, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V1250.pdf for more information.

The current rates for “overseas” allowances such as PAL and LQA can be determined by consulting the Department of State Office of Allowances website at https://aoprals.state.gov/. For the current rated for “overseas” allowances set by DoD, such as per diem rates for Temporary Quarters and Subsistence Allowance (TQSA), consult the Defense Travel Management Office website at http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/travelreg.cfm.

In addition to pay and allowances, there may be other benefits afforded to Federal employees serving in foreign areas. To learn more, please continue reading the different Overseas Benefits sections on this website.

Helpful Links

Note: This page contains one or more external links. See the External Links Disclaimer.