LSS training provides technical knowledge required to perform complex laser hazard evaluations and calculations. Additionally, LSS training includes fundamental laser safety measurement techniques. The LSS must successfully complete the ALA/LNTL-approved LSS course. TLSO certification is a pre-requisite for the LSS course. A LSS is qualified to:
- Perform the calculations and measurements of laser safety parameters such as NOHDs and required optical densities for laser eyewear.
- Train ALSOs, TLSOs, and LSSs using the ALA approved course curriculum. (Qualification of instructors requires ALA/LNTL approval).
- Classify lasers and laser systems.
- Conduct technical aspects of laser incident investigations.
- Perform the same tasks as a TLSO.