The ALSO possesses the knowledge required to administer a simple local command Laser Hazard Control Program. The ALSO must successfully complete an ALA/LNTL approved ALSO course. There are no prerequisites for the ALSO course. An ALSO is trained to:
- Establish and manage a unit level laser safety program.
- Approve, disapprove, or submit for safety approval to higher authority all local laser uses, both portable and fixed.
- Instruct employees and supervisors on the safe use of lasers.
- Supervise laser operations and maintenance.
- Manage laser incident investigations as appropriate. Technical assistance of a LSS or a RLSS is required.
- Maintain a laser medical surveillance program.
- Maintain an inventory of military-exempt and Class 3B and Class 4 lasers.
- Post laser warning signs and devices.
- Ensure that laser operators have the appropriate knowledge to safely operate their specific lasers (supervisor safety briefs, factory training school, instructional materials, etc.).
- Provide safety briefs/pre-mission briefs to laser range users.
- Prior to use of a laser range, ensure/confirm that warning signs have been posted, the area is clear of specular reflectors, personnel have required LEP, and all other safety conditions for range laser use outlined in the range regulations or range standard operating procedures (SOPs) are met.
- Perform laser eye protection inspections.