Home : Home : Shipyards : Norfolk : Careers : Trades & Technicians


We need your expertise if you have shipboard experience as a
mechanic, engineering technician, or physical science technician

We hire skilled full time mechanics in the following trades: boilermaker, crane operator, electrician, electronics mechanic, equipment mechanic, fabric worker, heavy mobile, insulator, machinist, marine machinery mechanic, painter, pipefitter, rigger, sheet metal mechanic, shipfitter,  shipwright, welder, and woodworking. To be eligible for these positions, you must have work experience in the trade you apply for.

If you have reinstatement or VRA eligibility and meet the qualification requirements, you may apply directly to Norfolk Naval Shipyard for any of our job openings.

If you do not have reinstatement or VRA eligibility, apply through

To view our current merit promotion announcements, visit

For information on available physical science technician and nuclear engineering positions, call (757) 396-1237, (757) 396-2721.

For information on available non-nuclear engineering technician positions, call (757) 396-4355.


Former Federal employees who previously attained career status; former Federal employees with veterans' preference who previously attained career-conditional status as a civilian employee in any Federal agency; OR former Federal career-conditional employees (without veterans' preference) who separated from Government service within the past three years are eligible to be reinstated. Supporting documentation is required: Copy of your most recent Notification of Personnel Action, SF-50.
Back to Top


Veterans' Recruitment Appointment:

Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA): To be eligible, a veteran must have served in the Armed Forces on active duty (not active duty for training or inactive duty as a Reservist) and received other than a dishonorable discharge. The following veterans are eligible for VRA appointment:

  • Disabled veterans
  • Veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized
  • Veterans who, while serving on active duty in the Armed Forces, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces Service Medal (ASFM) was awarded; and
  • Recently separated veterans. Recently separated veterans are defined as those who have separated from active service within the last three years.

Supporting documentation: DD-214 member number four (4) copy showing type of discharge. Additionally, veterans claiming 10-point veterans' preference will need an Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, SF-15, and applicable supporting documents, as noted on the form.

NOTE: Veterans' preference information and forms may be located on web sites such as
www.opm.gov or www.dol.gov/vets
Back to Top