Naval Sea Systems Command

 
Home : Home : NNPTC : History

   History

 

Training for Fleet operators was initially conducted by civilian engineers at Idaho Falls, Idaho (1955-1958) and West Milton, New York (1955-1956). The first formal Nuclear Power School was established in New London, Connecticut in January 1956 with a pilot course offered for six officers and fourteen enlisted men.

Subsequent locations include Bainbridge, Maryland (1956-1976); Mare Island, California (1958-1976); Orlando, Florida (1976-1998) and its current location, Charleston, South Carolina. In 1986, Nuclear Field A School was established in Orlando to provide nuclear in-rate training to Sailors prior to attending Nuclear Power School.

In 1993, the Nuclear Field A School and Nuclear Power School were joined to create Naval Nuclear Power Training Command. A move from Orlando, Florida to Charleston, South Carolina began in May 1998 and was completed in January 1999. Construction of the new command allowed Nuclear Field A School and Nuclear Power School to be located in the same building.

Many improvements were added to the command to improve each Sailors quality of life and training effectiveness. The Bachelor Enlisted Quarters include microwaves and refrigerators along with semiprivate rooms joined by a common bath. The complex also includes a galley, recreation building, and recreation fields conveniently located for the Sailors use. The NNPTC complex is fully manned with over 3,600 students and 480 staff members. Naval Health Clinic Charleston is located across NNPTC Circle from the NNPTC site and is a short walk from the main Rickover Center building.



This is an official U.S. Navy Web site


Naval Nuclear Power Training Command (NNPTC)
101 NNPTC Cir Goose Creek, SC, 29445

All information on this site is approved by the NNPTC Public Affairs Officer

For technical issues contact the
Webmaster
Read our Privacy Policies 
|  FOIA  |  Accessibility  |  Join the Navy

Staying Connected