The Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Department traces its origin back to World War II when the U.S. Navy recognized the need for countering advanced and complex weapons systems being deployed by other nations. Representing the largest concentration of EOD knowledge in the world, our mission is more relevant today than ever before. Ongoing global events and evolving threats have reemphasized how critical our mission is to homeland defense and the warfighter.
Department of Defense EOD technicians deployed worldwide are tasked with neutralizing unexploded ordnance of any kind, whether it be conventional, unconventional, improvised, chemical, biological or nuclear. The technicians also respond to evolving threats posed by Improvised Explosive Devices and Weapons of Mass Destruction. Countering these threats requires EOD technicians have quick reliable access to a broad range of tools and information. To meet their needs, our department employs mechanical and electrical engineers, information technology specialists, intelligence analysts, physicists, chemists, and subject matter experts from a variety of unique disciplines.
We use multi-disciplinary teams to conduct research and develop tools in a broad range of fields from information technologies and energetic materials to robotics and laser technologies, all in support of the EOD operator. Whether it be by reverse engineering existing ordnance and creating the procedures to make them safe, or spearheading the development of tools and technologies to counter emerging threats, we are focused on exploiting technology and intelligence to develop and deliver tools and equipment, and their life cycle support to the joint service EOD operating forces and other customers.
Primary Products and Services
We provide Explosive Ordnance Disposal technology to the Joint Services through:
- EOD knowledge management: Develop EOD procedures and technical information, to include reach-back capability, to counter explosive threats
- EOD technology: Develop tools & equipment and provide in-service engineering, depot level maintenance repair
- Counter-Improvised Explosive Device (IED) Technology
- Counter-Improvised Explosive Device (IED) Information
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Technology
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Information
- Counter Radio Controlled IED Electronic Warfare (CREW) Technology
- Counter Radio Controlled IED Electronic Warfare (CREW) Information
- EOD Program Management
- CREW Program Management
- Foreign Ordnance Electronics Exploitation Laboratory
- Magnetic Signature Test Facility
- Ordnance Disassembly Complex
- Chemical Laboratory (Explosives)
- Explosive Test Ranges
- Hypervelocity Test Facility
- Oxygen Cleaning Laboratory
- Model Shop
- EOD Diver Complex