NAVSEA Logo 

NSWC Indian Head Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technology Division

Go Search

Keeping America's Navy
#1 in the World
NAVSEA
NSWC HQ
Carderock
Corona
Crane
Dahlgren
Dam Neck
Indian Head EOD Technology
Panama City
Philadelphia
Port Hueneme
  


History of DoD Explosive Ordnance Disposal

HISTORY OF DOD EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE DISPOSAL

EOD developed as an outgrowth of the British experience with German ordnance. The British Royal Navy dismantled/recovered the first German magnetic mine on the mudflats at Shoeburyness in 1939.

1940 Training began for USA, USMC, and USN at Melksham RAF Station, Wiltshire, England.
1941 School of Civilian Defense organized at Chemical Warfare School, Edgewood Arsenal, MD. Major Thomas J. Kane selected as Commandant.
1941 U.S. Naval Mine Disposal School established at Naval Gun Factory (NGF), Washington, DC. Eight volunteer graduates of Naval Mine Warfare School at Yorktown, VA transferred to NGF.
8/1941 First class of U.S. Naval Mine Disposal School graduates.
1942 U.S. Mine School moved to Receiving Station, Anacostia, MD.
1942 U.S. Army Bomb Disposal School organized at Ordnance Training Center, Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD.
1942 MAJ Kane, Commandant of Bomb Disposal School at Aberdeen, with eight other officers and EM traveled to UK for training and familiarization.
1942 UK Bomb Disposal team brought a complete set of Bomb Disposal equipment to Aberdeen for demonstration and training.
1942 first U.S. Army Bomb Disposal unit, the 231st Ordnance Bomb Disposal Company, was organized and deployed.
1942 the pocket or sleeve insignia, red bomb on a black background, was approved for U.S. Army wear by all Bomb Disposal officers and those Bomb Disposal EM actually assigned to Bomb Disposal units.
1942 the distinctive badge for the Ordnance Bomb Disposal School was approved by the Army and authorized for wear by all Bomb Disposal officers and Bomb Disposal EM assigned to the school.
1/1942 U.S. Navy Bomb Disposal School formulated at American University Campus, Washington, DC.
1942 U.S. Bomb Disposal officers were assigned to the Pacific Theater. The 232nd Ordnance Bomb Disposal Company was the first U.S. Army bomb disposal unit in the Pacific Theater of Operations.
1942 British bomb disposal units accomplished bomb disposal operations in first European allied operation involving U.S. Army.
1942 Ensign Howard, USNR, was the first U.S. casualty in mine disposal. He attempted to render safe a booby trapped German magnetic submarine-laid moored mine.
1943 Army Bomb Disposal Division set up in England for support of U.S. bomb disposal operations in Europe.
1943 LT Rodger, USA and T/SGT Rap, (5th ORD Bomb Disposal Squad) USA were the first Army Bomb Disposal Technicians to be killed (carrying out bomb disposal operations on Attu Island).
1943 a number of U.S. Army bomb disposal units experienced casualties while working on sea mines and other underwater ordnance for which they had received no training.
1943 U.S. Marine Corps began training at American University.
1945 U.S. Army Bomb Disposal Center at Aberdeen deactivated; training transferred to the Ordnance School, Aberdeen.
1946 U.S. Navy Mine and Bomb Disposal Schools combined at Bellevue Annex of Naval Gun Factory, then moved to Naval Powder Factory, Indian Head, MD, on Jackson Road. Training course designated as Explosive Ordnance Disposal, giving birth to "EOD."
1947 U.S. Army Officer and Senior Enlisted started attending U.S. Navy EOD School. Junior Enlisted Army personnel continued training at Aberdeen, MD.
1947 U.S. Air Force became a separate service and began EOD training.
1947 Bureau of Naval Weapons designated the first Naval unit for the Research, Development, Test and Evaluation of EOD equipment at the U.S. Naval Powder Factory. It was an integral part of the EOD School and later became the EOD Technology Center.
1949 All USA and USAR bomb disposal squads were redesignated as EOD squads.
1950 98th EOD Squad arrived in Korea, joined seven days later by the 19th EOD Squad.
1951 U.S. Navy assigned Joint-service EOD responsibilities for basic training and research and development.
1953 Research and Development tasks were established as a separate organization, and redesignated the Naval Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technical Center. The training function was renamed the Naval School, Explosive Ordnance Disposal (NAVSCOLEOD).
1954 U.S. Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal Center was established by General Order 181.
1955 U.S. Army EOD School at Aberdeen, MD officially closed. From this date on, all Joint Service EOD training was provided at Indian Head, MD, until the school moved to Eglin AFB, beginning 1988.
1956 Dept. of the Army approved the design of the basic EOD badge, which became available for wear in 1957.
1958 NAVSCOLEOD moved to its location on Strauss Ave. from the original site on Jackson Rd.
1960 Aberdeen Proving Ground Center (U.S. Army EOD Center) was moved to Picatinney Arsenal, Dover, NJ to be the focal point of munition development.
1962 Naval Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technical Center redesignated the Naval Explosive Ordnance Disposal Facility (NAVEODFAC), and placed under direction of a Commanding Officer.
1965 EOD units arrive in Vietnam.
1969 Master EOD Badge approved for wear by qualified personnel.
1969 14 Feb - EOD Memorial Committee was formed and consisted of Senior Army, Navy, Marine, and Air Force officers of NAVSCOLEOD.
1969 First EOD Memorial Ball held at NAVSCOLEOD, Indian Head, MD.
1970 the EOD Memorial was dedicated to the men and women who have died on active duty as a result of an EOD mission since the declaration of World War II.
1971 EOD Memorial Scholarship Fund established.
1971 DoD Directive assigned the Secretary of the Navy as Single Manager for EOD Technology and Training
1972 Patricia E. Brown, daughter of 1LT Gilbert L. Brown, USMC (deceased), was awarded first EOD Memorial scholarship.
1972 Procedural guidelines were established for the DOD EOD Program Board.
1977 Deputy Managers for EOD Technology and EOD Training established (concurrent duty, respectively, for CO, NAVEODFAC and CO, NAVSCOLEOD).
1980 NAVEODFAC redesignated the Naval Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technology Center (NAVEODTECHCEN).
1985 U.S. Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal Center was renamed the EOD Office.
1985 NAVSCOLEOD Detachment Eglin AFB, FL established.
1986 Construction began at NAVSCOLEOD Detachment Eglin.
1988 NAVSCOLEOD Detachment, Eglin AFB officially opened.
1993 NAVSCOLEOD command relocated to Eglin AFB; NAVSCOLEOD Indian Head designated as detachment.
1993 NAVEODTECHCEN redesignated NAVEODTECHDIV, a division of the newly established Naval Ordnance Center.
1994 CO and HQ NAVSCOLEOD return to Indian Head due to MILCON delays at Eglin AFB FL. EOD School at Eglin redesignated as detachment.
1999 NAVSCOLEOD consolidation at Eglin AFB completed with a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony dedicating the facilities as the Kauffman EOD Training Complex in memory of RADM Draper L. Kauffman, USN, the first OIC of the Navy Bomb Disposal School in January 1942. Advanced EOD Course and Advanced Access and Disablement Courses remained at NAVSCOLEODDET Indian Head.
1999 Groundbreaking Ceremony for the new EOD Memorial and Troop Formation Area in front of HQ Building NAVSCOLEOD Eglin AFB.
2000 EOD Memorial and Troop Formation Area dedication ceremony.


This is an official U.S. Navy Web site.  Please read our Privacy Policy
notice.

 U.S. Navy Recruiting   |  Freedom of Information Act

Commander Naval Sea Systems Command
1333 Isaac Hull Avenue, SE
Washington Navy Yard, DC 20376-1080
202-781-0000
Webmaster