NAVEODTECHDIV traces its origin back to World War II when the U.S. Navy recognized the need for countering advanced and complex weapons systems being deployed by other nations. In 1941, the Naval Mine Disposal School was established in Washington, D.C., and the Naval Bomb Disposal School was established shortly thereafter. In 1945, both schools combined to form the Naval Ordnance Disposal Unit and by 1946 had relocated to the Naval Powder Factory in Indian Head, MD. Many years and advancements later, the command was renamed as the Naval Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technology Division (NAVEODTECHDIV) and as of Oct. 1, 2007, began reporting to the Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) as a division of Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC).
NAVEODTECHDIV is the official home of the Joint Service EOD Technology Program and works to provide Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, and Airmen worldwide with the information and technological solutions they need to detect/locate, access, identify, render safe, recover/exploit, and dispose of both conventional and unconventional explosive threats.