NUWC Division Newport is OPEN for normal business operations.
The operating status will be updated on the Command Information Line at 1-800-NOW-NUWC, the Command’s Facebook page and on this page.
The following are NUWC Division Newport notification procedures for work status changes:
There are procedures established to inform employees if severe weather conditions will impact working hours at Division Newport. The decision that public roads are unsafe rests with the state and local municipalities, and does not necessarily determine Division Newport's working conditions. This message should be retained as a general reminder of what to do in case of severe weather.
If severe weather develops during normal working hours (0745-1615) and Division Newport has to be closed, word will be passed verbally through the normal internal chain of command and via All Hands email.
Depending on the weather conditions, Division Newport may authorize a liberal leave (unscheduled leave) policy.
In the event of severe weather conditions that develop overnight, before normal working hours, requiring a "delayed opening" or "no work" status, every effort will be made to have that decision communicated to the workforce by 0500. Delayed work announcements or cancellation of Flextime will mean that employees may NOT report to work before a specified time.
Announcements of revised work hours will be promulgated by several methods:
- AutoMessenger (instructions for registering are located at the end of this message)
- Facebook (NUWC Division Newport’s Facebook page is http://www.facebook.com/NUWCNewport)
- Twitter (NUWC Division Newport’s Twitter page is: http://www.twitter.com/NUWCNewport)
- Call the information hotline:
- From local numbers - dial 401-832-6892, and press "1" for closure information
- From out of area - dial 800-669-6892 (800-NOW-NUWC) and press "1" for closure information
- NUWC Division Newport’s external public website's main page is updated as warranted by weather conditions and also contains a link to "Work Status" at: www.navsea.navy.mil/Home/WarfareCenters/NUWCNewport.aspx
- Public service announcements will be made via television and radio stations:
WLNE-TV/ABC6 (www.abc6.com )
WJAR-TV/NBC10 (www.turnto10.com )
WPRI-TV/CBS12 (www.wpri.com )
CW28 (www.thecwprov.com )
RI PBS / Channel 36 (www.ripbs.org )
WNAC-FOX/Channel 11 (www.foxprovidence.com )
Radio Stations in Rhode Island:
FM DIAL: AM DIAL:
88.1 WRNI (www.ripr.org ) 630 WPRO (www.630wpro.com )
91.5 WRNI (www.ripr.org ) 790 WPRV (www.790business.com)
92.3 WPRO (www.92profm.com ) 920 WHJJ (www.920whjj.com )
93.3 WSNE (www.coast933.com ) 1110 WPMZ (www.poder1110.com )
94.1 WHJY (www.whjy.com ) 1180 WSKP (http://kool1180.webs.com/)
95.5 WBRU (www.wbru.com ) 1240 WOON (www.onworldwide.com )
98.1 WCTK (www.wctk.com ) 1290 WRNI (www.ripr.org)
99.7 WEAN (www.630wpro.com ) 1450 WLKW (www.wnbhradio.com or www.wlkwradio.com )
100.3 WKKB (www.latina1003fm.com ) 1540 WADK (www.wadk.com )
101.5 WWBB (www.b101.com ) 1590 WARV (lifechangingradio.com/warv/)
102.7 WRNI (www.ripr.org ) 1710 WCNX (www.wcnxradio.com/)
105.1 WWLI (www.literock105fm.com )
106.3 WWKX (www.hot1063.com )
Radio Stations in Massachusetts:
1480 AM WSAR (Somerset) (www.wsar.com )
Radio Stations in Connecticut:
1310 AM WICH (Norwich) (http://wich.com/)
97.7 FM WCTY (Norwich) (www.wcty.com )
98.7 FM WNLC (East Lyme) (www.wnlc.com )
100.9 FM WKNL (New London) (http://radioroxy.com/)
106.5 WBMW (http://www.wbmw.com/)
If you are listening to public service bulletins for weather related announcements, please pay close attention to the radio and television stations listed above for information related to NUWC Division Newport. Because these announcements are broadcast as a "public service," there is no guarantee that the stations will carry them, or if carried, will air them in a timely or accurate manner. Although these stations have said they will try to make our closure announcements, their management has made it clear that school closures and social service announcements have priority over business closures.
Also be aware that NUWC airs separate announcements from those of Naval Station Newport and the Naval War College. Please be sure that closure announcements refer to "NUWC Division Newport." If they say the Navy Base in Newport, it is not us. Employees working within the Naval Station fence line, such as those at Stillwater Basin or in Buildings 2-6, 1318, and 80 should report to work if NUWC Division Newport is open but Naval Station Newport is not. In those cases, Naval Station security will permit NUWC employees to enter the Naval Station during times when the Naval Station is "closed."
AutoMessenger registration instructions:
1. Visit https://asp.schoolmessenger.com/newportnuwc/subscriber/
2. Click the "Sign Up Now" link near the middle of the page.
3. On the "Sign Up" page, you will need to confirm the encrypted image and provide your name, email address and password. You'll use your email address and the password you enter here to sign in later. Review and accept the Terms of Service. Click "Create Account" when you are done.
4. Check your email for an Account Activation notice from: email@example.com with the subject "Account Activation." This contains a link to activate your account within 24 hours. This link will take you to a confirmation page where you must enter your password in order to activate your account.
5. Once you've activated your account, you can select your notification preferences.
6. Simply select the type(s) of notifications you wish to receive and the groups to which you belong.
7. When you have finished selecting, click "Save."
8. If you would like to, add additional email addresses to notify your home, work, cell phone, etc.